Thursday, September 3, 2009

Harmony

Perhaps the world is dived into two kinds of people. People who like Harmony Korine, find him challenging and inspiring and funny, and the people don't like him even a little bit.

So I'm sitting here, as I do, and I'm watching interviews with Harmony Korine on youtube, which I've never done and feeling this amazing connection somehow. This idea that there are all these amazing pictures in his head that come out when he makes films, but maybe when he does interviews he has a hard time getting those images across and people think he's just a kook.

I'm a word person, not a visual person so much, but I understand how difficult it can be to explain the process of creating your art. And I love that he doesn't censor his vision to make it prettier or more obviously accessible. His characters get to be weird and fucked up without having to be . . . washed. People can be handicapped without being cute, sad without being tragic, people can be awful and wonderful and not make any sense, and that's fine.

Apparently his last film had flying nuns too - and a castle full of celebrity impersonators. So of course I have to see it now. 'Mr Wonderful' it's called. I saw the trailer, looks amazing. But where to find it? I don't want to download it, I'd rather he got the money. I'll order it if no video shops around here have it.

And so I think this divided world of ours needs more Harmony Korine, I think he makes it a nicer place for us all.

"I'd do the sequel to Titanic. I'd use a rowboat. I don't know if it'd sink."
Harmony Korine on Letterman

1 comment:

  1. Stefon - Watched a doco with Harmony Corine a few days ago - Beautiful Losers. Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete